Who are we?
Abel & Cole has pioneered organic, ethical and sustainable food delivery for over 30 years. Doing things better is our bread and butter; from saving over 60 million plastic bags by using reusable boxes for our food deliveries, to finding alternatives to plastic long before it hit the headlines. We are forever challenging ourselves to find the most positive way to do business and want everyone to eat organic because it’s one way to save the future. It’s these values that enabled us to become B Corp certified; an optional audit we’ve gone through to recognise how we put people and planet before profit, as well as help us find room for further improvement.
We’re looking for more people to join our team of almost 700, to share our passion for doing the right thing even bigger and better than we do already. In a fast paced and competitive market, we know it’s our people who make the difference. We’ve learnt how important it is to recognise, develop and promote from within; and that trusting people lets them come up with the best ideas and that helps our entrepreneurial spirit to thrive.
Want to see more?
Check us out at www.abelandcole.co.uk, https://bcorporation.net/directory/abel-cole, and Instagram
Reporting to the Grocery Technical Manager and acting as an ambassador for Abel & Cole, this is a fantastic opportunity to join an award-winning team that is passionate about delivering top quality, organic produce direct to the customer’s door.
Based at our Andover site, you will work alongside the Abel & Cole Technical team, whose mission is to support our due diligence and own the technical aspects of new product launches and existing SKUs, to ensure our suppliers and products adhere to relevant food safety legislation, is of the quality expected, is safe and legally compliant for consumers. You will develop strong relationships with our suppliers to drive change and implement continuous improvement to deliver long-term strategies for product safety, quality, legality, and authenticity.
- Be the first point of contact for any technical queries or customer complaints, and liaising with the supplier in the event of any key issues.
- Owning the technical aspect of new product launches, including specification review, artwork approval, and information management.
- Ongoing review of product information to ensure it is accurate and substantiated.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with grocery suppliers and A&C teams
- Conducting regular visits and audits of A&C suppliers
- Monitoring and reviewing of KPIs with internal teams and suppliers to ensure continuous improvement
- Working with the Compliance team to develop quality attribute sheets
- Creating procedures, documents, and policies to ensure our technical processes are robust to ensure adequate due diligence
- Keeping up to date with technical, legislative and policy changes to ensure our products and suppliers comply with brand and legal requirements
- Provide guidance to teams as appropriate on product handling and information
- Act as an ambassador for our B Corp values: make all decisions with our social and environmental impact in mind and look for opportunities, no matter how small, to use our business as a force for good.
Skills and Experience:
- Background in a food technical function, with experience in HACCP, Auditing and New product development.
- Computer literate, particularly in MS Office.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Deliver training and provide information to all levels across the business.
- Keen attention to detail, especially regarding food hygiene and safety.
- Highly organised, methodical, and tenacious.
- Degree in food science and technology, food and consumer science, or equivalent.
- Keen to learn new things, develop and grow alongside business needs.
- A team player, but with confidence/ability to work independently.
- Flexible approach to working and the adaptability to cope in a fast-growing company with changing priorities.
- Willingness and ability to travel between A&C and supplier sites where required.
- Flexibility may be required for weekend cover.
What we offer?
This is a full-time position, Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week, based at our Andover site.
- Up to salary of £23,000 per annum (FTE) depending on experience
- 30 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays (FTE).
- Flexible working options considered.
- A free box of fruit and veg every week.
- Up to 35% discount on A&C products.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Contributory pension scheme.
Abel & Cole promotes equal opportunities for all employees. We want our employees to feel they can be themselves at work and develop their talents to the full. Members of staff are expected to take personal responsibility for keeping our workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and bullying - a place where everyone is treated fairly and respectfully.
As part of the recruitment journey, if you need us to make any reasonable adjustments so you’re not disadvantaged, please contact us as soon as possible. We welcome applications from people with disabilities.
To support Abel & Cole’s commitment to inclusion and diversity, we ask that you remove all personal details from your CV. This includes removal of home address, D.O.B and place of education.